Monday, September 1, 2008

My Homemade Wine Story

When I first started thinking about trying to make my own wine, I knew I had to have at least a little start-up information.

I mean, I had made wine before - in high school. Me and a buddy of mine got some Welch's frozen concentrate, put some water and sugar in it, then threw in some yeast. Then we had to wait like 2 weeks.

The 2 week wait was almost unbearable.

But when we drank it, it gave us a rosy glow and we sat there and giggled for about an hour.

That was 20 years ago.

Now, when I decided to start making wine - REAL wine - I knew I needed some advice. The internet is full of it. Good advice, bad advice, and just ugly advice. Most of it is crap.

What I wanted was something that would spell it out - in plain english. A step-by-step guide. Nothing technical or full of scientific mumbo jumbo.

I had read a couple of books on winemaking (yawn). Too much techno-speak. Too much pH and acid level and titration.

Then, I found this one: The Complete Illustrated Guide to Homemade Wine

You can click on the link and check it out. Believe me, it is written so that anyone can start from scratch and start making their own excellent wine within a half an hour.

The best part is that it comes with a complete winemaking library, so, if you want to get technical - you can. The information is all there.

There's even a video or two. Basically, the whole package is probably worth $100. I only had to pay $34 and it was worth every penny.

Last time I checked, there was a special running on the site so you can now get the whole package for only $27. Probably better to take advantage of it sooner rather than later.

If you want to try your hand at making your own wine, I recommend The Complete Illustrated Guide to Homemade Wine and the extra stuff that comes with it.

I did find a couple of other great books but both of them were like $47 or more. This one had everything and then some but it cost less by about $14.

Let me know what you thought by posting a comment.

No comments: