Saturday, December 15, 2007

Apple/Grape Wine

My first 3 gallon batch of apple grape wine is in it's 7th week now. I have just added some potassium sorbate to stabilize it. It was STILL fermenting at 7 weeks - unbelieveable. Now it has settled down.

My hydrometer reads right at 1.00 but it started a little above 1.1 so the alcohol content should be about right. I sampled it yesterday and it is quite sour. It will probably need to be sweetened. I plan on using a little more apple frozen concentrate.

I put finings in last night and it is beginning to clear. This stuff appears to be very cloudy, however, with a pretty good amount of finings, it should clear in about a week. I will keep you posted!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Ive made a simular wine and after i added the finings it cleard up quite quickly. Ive even had a go at making wine from concentrates that have had preservatives in (i boiled the juice with some water for around 10-15 minutes to get rid of them and it turned out quite good the alcohol was around 10% which isnt bad for my first attempt